Official Pawn forums Forum Index

Take Hitcap into Account

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Official Pawn forums Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Take Hitcap into Account Reply with quote

I dont think pawn is taking hitcaps into account. I am hitcapped and it saying if I put more hit gems in, its better.
zyffyr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but that is a bit out of the scope of this addon. Especially since your effective hit cap depends on

1Single Weapon vs Dual Wield vs Spell
2)Talents
3)Buffs (+Hit food)

Additionally, adding more +Hit to a specific item when capped can be good - it might allow you to swap out another item that has +Hit for something else that is otherwise superior.
Vger
Pawn Mod Creator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, but I agree with zyffyr. Also, If you no longer want to get new items with +hit, you can simply remove +hit from your scale, or reduce its value. If you find yourself dropping below the cap, you can restore it to its previous value.
Darkclaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I think some system for adjusting values passed an upper limit (hit cap for example) is a great idea. Having the computer automatically tweak values for you, so you don't have to, is part of the point of having a mod like this in the first place. We can just focus on having fun in the game rather than doing math gymnastics. ( granted for some that is part of the fun, but then they likely don't want to use tools like this, and that is great!)
Vordak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just reduce the value on hit in your scale... the computer has no idea what spec you are or how you play so automatic adjustments on the code's part is unrealistic
Morimoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could just implement the ability to set a threshold at a certain value and after that value you could set a different point value for that attribute? (Darkclaw suggested a similar idea)

Most of the time you are creating a Pawn setting for a certain class and spec. I'd like to think the hit, defense, etc. threshold could be defined by them. It doesn't make sense that Pawn would need to compute that but there is value in being able to add some "intelligence" to the Pawn scale by the author of the scale. Pawn would only check if your rating (as show on the character panel) is above that value. I don't think it should worry about talents and such.

For the hit rating problem, a Pawn value set should set the limit and then mark it as zero value after that. For defense, you could set the usual 540 minimum and then provide a lower value once that is met.

If you did that, then perhaps an option to show the adjusted (using thresholds) and non-adjusted point values would help. It would be similar to how you can opt to get the enchanted and non-enchanted values.

The value in it is that Pawn cannot really deal with all the gear choices as you've pointed out but it is helpful to see the value of an item in both cases. In the end you'll want to find the combination of gear that provides the best over value for a scale. In fact, if you implement this feature, you could possibly add a new feature would find the set of gear (in your inventory) which maximizes a given scale.

The only other option is that you must create multiple Pawn scales in order to deal with these limits. The above idea would make it easier on users though.
Vger
Pawn Mod Creator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a definite possibility for the future, but right now I don't like the idea of the value of an item for any given scale changing as your stats change. I realize that things like hit and defense caps exist and are a concern for certain classes, but (1) I'm currently focused on other features that would affect everyone (well, technically, I'm focused on getting to 80 first!), and (2) I haven't come up with a system that I really like yet, and I definitely don't want to add in a feature and then decide that I don't like the way I did it and have to redo it.
prostheus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be good if you could just put a maximum total value of a statistic. Some people aim for certain amounts of attack power etc also, so why not just have it so all stats can have a maximum value? I would think such a thing wouldn't be too hard to implement, but then again, I'm no coder.

Another idea which might suit others too, is an alternate value once you've hit a certain level of something (so you can reduce the stat's weight after say, 4000ap).

I'm sure there's many possibilities in the long run, but I would think that just setting a max value for things would be ideal. I do think that whoever provides pawn scales should provide a talent tree link, although I haven't provided such a thing myself, so yes I am a hippocrit (or however you spell it :D )
gwolfhunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pawn has the ability to set and display multiple scores

in the hitcap case set a "uncapped" and also set a "capped" value

this will allow you to look at both scores vs other gear and see if the new piece is worth losing hit here and swapping in hit elseware to compensate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Official Pawn forums Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: