Official Pawn forums Forum Index

French translation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Official Pawn forums Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnylenny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: French translation Reply with quote

Is there a version of Pawn compatible with the french client ??

If not i can help with translation.

thank you 8)
Vger
Pawn Mod Creator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various people have started French translations for Pawn, but translating Pawn is a LOT more work than translating a normal mod, and I think they've all given up. You're welcome to try, though. :) I'd say that to be successful translating Pawn, you should have prior experience translating WoW mods first. There are other things you'll need to become familiar with (check out the text in localization.lua for an idea of what I'm talking about) beyond basic translation, because Pawn is different from other mods: it won't just look wrong if it's not translated properly; it won't work correctly.
poilbrun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To have a working version of the addon, am I correct in thinking that this is the bare minimum that needs to be translated:
  • In the Master table of stats section, the words between the first "" of each line
  • In the UI strings section, all the strings ending in _Text
  • In the Tooltip parsing expressions section, the text to be parsed from the tooltip in-game, the words between the first "" of each line
If I only change this, the texts of the addon will be in English in the game, but the addon should understand the stats, make the calculations, and function in an frFR client?

I think I will give it a try in the upcoming days, I'd be interested in learning how to localize software code, it might prove to be useful at work :P
Vger
Pawn Mod Creator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's more than what's needed if you don't mind the UI being in English. If you just want it to work, translate everything below the line marked

Quote:
-- Tooltip parsing expressions

That's going to be the largest portion of the work. If you also do the parts that you specified, then the list of stats on the Scales and Compare tabs will be in French, and most of the UI will be in French but have English tooltips.

This page might be helpful in translating the parsing expressions section:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Pattern_matching

The syntax used is similar to regular expressions if you've used those before.
poilbrun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give it a try in the upcoming days. I've already had a look at other languages conversion of pawn (the outdated German and the Russian ones) to see how they did it and to have a better grasp on what needs to be translated.

Thank you for your quick reply. I was actually coming to the forums this morning to ask if indeed only the third item in my list was necessary. A good night of sleep had helped me get a better understanding :)
poilbrun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can understand why other people started work on this but then found it more difficult then expected :)

Here I come with some questions:

• Is WoW case-sensitive? Would the addon recognize "Strength" and "strength" as the same thing or not?
  • Is there an easy way for me to change all accented characters in their codes (e.g. à into \195\160)? Does some kind of converter exist?
  • For weapon damage, it appears like this in English "150 - 280 Damage" but in French, it's like this "Dégâts : 150 - 280". Am I right in thinking that "^(%d-) %- (%d-) Damage$" should become "^Dégâts : (%d-) %- (%d-)$"?
  • For block rating as in Warbringer Chestguard, the value is place in the middle of the sentence in French: "Équipé : Augmente de 23 le score de blocage.". Would this be the right way to parse it: "^Équipé : Augmente de (%d+) le score de blocage.$"?
  • Sometimes, the same expression in English can be translated in two different ways in French. E.g.: "+15 Stamina" can become either "+15 Endurance" or "+15 à l'Endurance". Should I simply add an extra line in the addon ("^%+?(%-?%d+) Endurance$" and "^%+?(%-?%d+) à l'Endurance$") or is there another way?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but I came into this with more experience of translation than of Lua editing :)
Vger
Pawn Mod Creator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is case-sensitive. You can, however, do "[Ss]trength", which will match both "Strength" and "strength". I do this in English for several of the MP5 strings because the capitalization of "mana" and "per" varies a lot.

I don't know of any converter to change à into \195\160. However, I think that if you save the file with a UTF-8 encoding (actually, I thought it already was), you should be able to put accented characters directly into the file.

I think your suggested strings for your last three points all look correct. Technically, the period in your block rating string should be "%." -- "." matches any character, and "%." matches a period. For Endurance, it's probably easier to just have two lines. You can add and remove lines to and from that list as is convenient.

Hope that helps!
jonnylenny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: regarding translation Reply with quote

Does Pawn really need translated item stats to access them ? For example, isnt 'Strength' the same in every locale (internally speaking i mean) ?

If this is true we only need to localize the user interface of Pawn and not the code inside.

I dont understand why is it so tedious to translate such an useful addon.

..maybe it come from a limitation in the LUA.
Vger
Pawn Mod Creator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Unfortunately, the only way that mods have access to item information is by reading text off of item tooltips.
Sajuuk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already began working on a french translation a few weeks ago, but I've only been able to make the basic stats works and the sockets (not the socket bonus). I'm currently trying to make attack power / haste rating / critic rating working but everything I try does not seems to be working correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Official Pawn forums Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: